|Professor Frederick Noel Zaal|
Professor Frederick Noel Zaal interest is child care and protection law and In particularly interested in the role of courts in protecting children.
Honorary Research Fellows
BA LLB Natal University, LLM University of Durban Westville, LLM Columbia University, Ph.D. Wits University.
Advocate of the High Court.
Child Care and Protection Law
- ‘A First Finding of Unconstitutionality in the Children’s Act 38 of 2005: C and others v Gauteng Department of Health and Social Welfare and others‘ 2012, 75 THRHR 168-176.
- Articulating common law and statutory parental responsibilities: Wheeler v Wheeler and other cases‘ (Co-written with Meda Couzens, Lecturer in Law, University of KwaZulu-Natal. 2012, TSAR 188-194).
- ‘Protecting Parties from Ambush: Some Recommendations on Discovery in Children’s Court Litigation’. 2011, 128 SALJ 632-641. Co-Written with Rani Pillay, Lecturer in Law, University of KwaZulu-Natal (first author).
- ‘Intrusive Care and Protection Assessments: When Should Children Have a Right to Say No?’ 2011, 27 South African Journal on Human Rights 381-397. Co-written with Carmel Matthias (first author).
- ‘Intermediaries for Child Witnesses: Old Problems, New Solutions and Judicial Differences in South Africa’ Article co-written with Carmel Matthias (first author). In 19 (2011) The International Journal on Children’s Rights 251-269.
Recent Papers Delivered:
- ‘Interdisciplinary Education for Child Law Specialists: the Case for, and a Proposed Model’. Co-presented with Prof Carmel R Matthias at the Commonwealth Legal Education Association Conference, Durban, 13 April 2013.
- ‘The Need for a Helping Hand: Divorce and Disadvantaged Litigants in the Lower Courts’. Co-presented with Eben Van der Merwe at the Commonwealth Legal Education Association Conference, Durban, 14 April 2013.