|Professor Tammy JA Cohen|
Professor Tammy Cohen is an Associate-Professor in the field of Labour Law, Advanced Labour Law and Employment Discrimination Law at the School of Law. She holds a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree, a Bachelor of Laws (LLB), a Masters of Laws (LLM) degree from the University of Natal and a PhD from University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN). Professor Cohen is an admitted Attorney of the High Court, South Africa and a member of the South African Society on Labour Law (SASLAW). She is an organiser of the Annual Labour Law Conference.
Honorary Research Fellows
BA, LLB, LLM (Natal), PhD (UKZN)
Attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Labour Law
- Dispute Resolution
- Employment Discrimination
- Labour Relations Law (2015) (Lexis Nexis) Du Toit et al
- Labour Law through the Cases (Du Toit et al) (2003- present) LexisNexis. Trade Unions and the Law (2009) co-authored with Prof A Rycroft and Ms B Whitcher.
- Labour Law in context (2016 2nd edition) Van der Walt, Le Roux (eds) (Pearsons)
- Re-inventing Labour Law Le Roux and Rycroft (eds) Chapter entitled’ The relational contract of employment’ 2012 (Juta)
- Laws Against Strikes 2015 (Hepple, Sciarra and Le Roux eds) (Franco Angeli – Italy)
- ‘The Efficacy of International Standards in Countering Gender Inequality in the Workplace’ (2012) 33 ILJ 19
- ‘The relational Contract of employment’ 2012 Acta Juridica 84
- ‘Achieving “Decent Work” In South Africa?’ 2012 Potchefstroom Electronic Journal (Co-authored with Luendree Moodley)
- ‘Debunking The Legal Fiction – Djokwe v De Kock and Others’ (2012) 33 ILJ
- ‘Relational contract of Employment’ 2012 Acta Juridica (2012) 84
- ‘Precautionary Suspensions in the Public Sector: Member Of The Executive Council For Education, North West Provincial Government V Gradwell (2012) 33 ILJ 2033 (LAC)’ (2013) 34 ILJ 1706.
- ‘Discretionary Benefits Disputes’ (2014) 35 ILJ 79
- ‘The effect of the Labour Relations Amendment Bill 2012 on Non-Standard Employment Relationships’ (2014) 35 ILJ 2607
- ‘Limiting Organisational Rights of Minority Unions: POPCRU v Ledwaba’ 2014 PER 17(5) 2209
- ‘Public Servants’ right to strike in Lesotho, Botswana and South Africa’ 2014 PER 17(4) 1636
- ‘Setting the record straight on Procedurally Unfair Large-Scale
- ‘ Leave for working father in the SADC region’ (co-authored with Lisa Dancaster) (2015) 36 ILJ 2474.
- ‘Understanding limitations to the right to strike in essential and public services in the SADC region’ (co-authored with Prof R le Roux) 2016 PER/PELJ (2).
Recent Conference papers
- Paper presented at 28th Annual Labour Law Conference entitled ‘Trade Union Liability’ (Sandton)
- Paper presented at International Conference of Labour Law Research Network on Strike Law in South Africa. (Amsterdam)
- Paper presented at 24th Annual Labour Law Conference entitled ‘Automatic termination with a focus on recent desertion and labour broking cases.’ (Sandton)
- Paper presented at international conference entitled ‘Interaction between international, regional and national labour law and social security’ entitled ‘ Equality of opportunity and treatment of women in the workplace’.(Stellenbosch)
- Paper presented at 23rd Annual Labour Law Conference entitled ‘Challenging the employer’s discretion with a case study on performance appraisal’ (Sandton)