Dr Darren Subramanien
Senior Lecturer and Academic Leader: Socio-legal studies
Dr Darren Subramanien is a Senior Lecturer in the fields of Commercial Law, Corporate Law and the Law of Contract at the School of Law. He lectures these modules at both undergraduate and at postgraduate level.
Dr Subramanien is currently the Academic Leader: Socio-legal studies (Pmb). He holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree, a Master of Laws (LLM) and PhD from the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN). Dr Subramanien is also an admitted Advocate of the High Court of South Africa. He was a member of the Anti-Human Trafficking task team based in KwaZulu-Natal and is on the panel of legal experts for Legalwise where he provides legal advice in the areas of commercial, company and labour law. Dr Subramanien has been a facilitator for the department of Legal Education & Development (LEAD) for over 10 years where he lectures Constitutional Practice, Legal Drafting and Dispute Resolution to Candidate Attorneys.
He is currently on the editorial committee for the Journal of Corporate and Commercial Law & Practice and is a registered commercial and civil mediator/arbitrator.
- LLM (UKZN)
- PhD (UKZN)
- Certificate in Software law (UCT)
- Certificate in Strategic Space law (Centre for Research in Air and Space Law, McGill University)
- Advocate of the High Court of South Africa
- Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator/Arbitrator
- Corporate law
- Law of Contract
- Commercial law
- Software law
- Air and Space law
- Human trafficking laws
Membership of Professional & Other Organisations
- National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADEL)
- National Bar Council of South Africa (NBCSA)
- SA Higher Education Community Engagement Forum (SAHECEF)
- The African Ombudsman Research Centre (AORCE)
- Editorial Committee (Journal of Corporate and Commercial Law & Practice)
- Advisory Committee (School of Legal Practice)