Professor Michael Kidd
Building & Room: L Law Building – Room 3
Professor Michael Kidd lectures in various aspects of Environmental law such as Pollution Control Law, Natural Resources Law, Land Use and Planning Law, International Environmental Law and Ocean and Coastal Law. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) degree, a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree, a Master of Laws (LLM) and a PhD from the University of Natal. Kidd’s research interests include Environmental Law, Water Law and Administrative Law and he has published extensively in these fields.
- B Com
- PhD (Natal)
- Environmental Law
- Water Law
- Administrative Law
- Environmental Law Juta (2008) 270 pages
- Environmental Law Juta (2011) 2nd Edition 332 pages
Chapters in Books
- ‘Reasons’ in Geo Quinot (ed) Administrative Justice in South Africa (2015) Oxford UP 193-218
- ‘Reasonableness’ in Geo Quinot (ed) Administrative Justice in South Africa (2015) Oxford UP 169-192
- Introduction: water and the law – towards sustainability’ (with Loretta Feris) in Kidd et al (eds) Water and the Law: Towards Sustainability (2014) Edward Elgar 1-9
- ‘Agriculture’ (with Melissa Lewis) in WA Joubert (ed) The Law of South Africa 3 ed (2014) LexisNexis, Durban 181-308 (paragraphs 185-391)
- ‘Environment’ in Iain Currie & Johan de Waal The Bill of Rights Handbook 6 ed (2013) Juta 516-529
- Co-editor (with Loretta Feris; Tumai Murombo & Alejandro Iza) Water and the Law: Towards Sustainability (2014) Edward Elgar 393 pages.
- Co-editor (with Shannon Hoctor) Stella Iuris: Celebrating 100 years of teaching law in Pietermaritzburg (2010) Juta 375 pages.
- Editor of South African Journal of Environmental Law and Policy (1994 – present).
Papers in Refereed Journals
- ‘Fragmented legislation and unconstitutionality: S v Khohliso’ (2012) 19 SAJELP 155-161 (published 2015).
- ‘Environmental Law’ (2013) Annual Survey of South African Law 380-424 (published 2015)
- ‘Environmental Law’ (2012) Annual Survey of South African Law 306-327 (published 2014?)
- ‘‘Fairness Floating down the Stream? The Water Tribunal and Administrative Justice’ (2012) 19 SAJELP 25-50
- ‘Environmental Law’ (2011) Annual Survey of South African Law 399-413 (published in 2013)
Papers in International Refereed Journals (non-SAPSE recognised)
- ‘Marine Biodiversity and Fisheries Governance: An overview’ in Ed Couzens, Tuula Honkonen & Melissa Lewis (eds) International Environmental Law-making and Diplomacy Review 2012 (2013) 45-71
- ‘Developments in South African environmental law during 2010: Developments in environmental law during 2012’ (2013) 1 IUCN Academy of Environmental Law e-Journal 222-230
- ‘Developments in South African environmental law during 2010: Recent Judicial, Legislative and Policy Developments’ (2012) 1 IUCN Academy of Environmental Law e-Journal 190-198
- ‘The legal status of the environmental management framework’ Paper delivered at the Conference of the Society of University Teachers of Law, Durban, July 2015.
- ‘Legal issues relating to timber plantations’ Paper delivered at the Twelfth Colloquium of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law, Jakarta, Indonesia, September 2015.
- ‘Some thoughts on concurrent legislative competence in relation to nature conservation’ (with Ina Cronje) Paper delivered at Symposium on Contemporary Conservation Practice’, Howick, November 2015.
Membership of Professional & Other Organisations:
- Principal Editor of South African Journal of Environmental Law and Policy
- www.iucnael.orgwww.iucnael.org (IUCN Academy of Environmental Law)