Campus: Howard College
Building & Room: Unit of Maritime Law & Maritime Studies, Shepstone Building, level 5
Dr. Dusty Donnelly is an admitted advocate of the High Court of South Africa and joined the School of Law after practicing first as an attorney and then as a member of the KwaZulu-Natal Society of Advocates. She is currently a senior lecturer in the School of Law, acting director of the Unit of Maritime Law & Maritime Studies, and program coordinator for the LLM Maritime law.
She has extensive supervision experience and conducts research and supervision in the areas of data protection, artificial intelligence, and maritime law. She coordinates and teaches on the admiralty law and civil procedure courses, and has taught and acted as an external examiner on a wide range of business and procedural law subjects including insurance & agency, cyber law, evidence, and sale-lease & credit agreements.
- BA LLB (UND)
- LLM (UKZN)
- Ph.D. (UKZN)
- Admitted advocate of the High Court of South Africa.
- Associate Member of the KwaZulu-Natal Society of Advocates
- Member of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa
- National Executive Committee of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa
- Data protection
- Artificial intelligence
- Admiralty jurisdiction & practice
- Donnelly D and Govindasamy S ‘To stay or not to stay? Admiralty proceedings after the International Arbitration Act 15 of 2017: A case note on mv ‘Cecilia B’ Atakas Ticaret ve Nakliyat AS v Glencore International AG 2019 (5) SA 379 (SCA) (2021) 138 (1) SALJ 40-57
- Donnelly, Dusty-Lee 2020. Data Privacy in the Cloud: The Position of SMMEs Engaged in Mobile App Development in South Africa. In Singh, Upasana, Purshottama Sivanarain Reddy, Maxwell Phiri & Dr Perenien Appavoo (eds.): Global Trends in Management, IT and Governance in an e-World (E-MIG 2019 International). Durban and Pietermaritzburg: CSSALL Publishers. ISBN: 978-0-9869936-9-5.
- Donnelly D ‘Do you always get something out? The impact of the Insurance Act 18 of 2017 and revised policyholder protection rules on material misrepresentation and non-disclosure’ (2018) 135 (4) SALJ 593 – 612
- Donnelly D ‘Charting a new course: Northern Endeavour Shipping Pte Ltd v Owners of NYK lsabel’ SALJ 2017 (3) 453-465
- Donnelly D ‘A new approach to the interpretation of contracts and the management of strategic corporate relationships’ Journal of Contemporary Management 2014 (11) 1 p.18 – 32
- An examination of the application of the Sea Transport Documents Act 65 of 2000 to title to sue under contracts of carriage evidenced by sea waybills and straight bills of lading. (unpublished LLM thesis, UKZN 2013)
- Privacy by (re)Design: A Comparative Study of the Protection of Personal Information in the Mobile Applications Ecosystem under United States, European Union, and South African Law (unpublished Ph.D. thesis, UKZN 2021)