Campus: Howard College
Building & Room: Unit of Maritime Law & Maritime Studies, Shepstone Building, level 5
Dr Dusty Donnelly is an admitted advocate of the High Court of South Africa, and joined the School of Law after practicing first as an attorney and then as a member of the KwaZulu-Natal Society of Advocates in the areas of civil litigation and maritime law.
She is the acting director of the Unit of Maritime Law & Maritime Studie, program co-ordinator of the LLM Maritime law program. She has supervised several Masters students in maritime and business law. She lectures in the fields of admiralty jurisdiction, civil procedure and has lectured and acted as internal moderator, and external examiner in a range of business law subjects: cyber law, sale & lease, commercial law, negotiable instruments, evidence, practical legal training, contract and the maritime law undergraduate elective.
She recently completed her PhD entitled Privacy by (re)Design: A Comparative Study of the Protection of Personal Information in the Mobile Applications Ecosystem under United States, European Union and South African Law
- BA LLB (UND)
- LLM (UKZN)
- PhD (UKZN)
- Admitted advocate of High Court of South Africa.
- Member of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa
- Associate Member of the KwaZulu-Natal Society of Advocates
- Admiralty jurisdiction, law and practice
- Multi-disciplinary research in data privacy and cyber law
- Donnelly D and Govindasamy S ‘To stay or not to stay? Admiralty proceedings after the International Arbitration Act 15 of 2017: A case note on mv ‘Cecilia B’ Atakas Ticaret ve Nakliyat AS v Glencore International AG 2019 (5) SA 379 (SCA) (2021) 138 (1) SALJ 40-57
- Donnelly, Dusty-Lee 2020. Data Privacy in the Cloud: The Position of SMMEs Engaged in Mobile App Development in South Africa. In Singh, Upasana, Purshottama Sivanarain Reddy, Maxwell Phiri & Dr Perenien Appavoo (eds.): Global Trends in Management, IT and Governance in an e-World (E-MIG 2019 International). Durban and Pietermaritzburg: CSSALL Publishers. ISBN: 978-0-9869936-9-5.
- Donnelly D ‘Do you always get something out? The impact of the Insurance Act 18 of 2017 and revised policyholder protection rules on material misrepresentation and non-disclosure’ (2018) 135 (4) SALJ 593 – 612
- Donnelly D ‘Charting a new course: Northern Endeavour Shipping Pte Ltd v Owners of NYK lsabel’ SALJ 2017 (3) 453-465
- Donnelly D ‘A new approach to the interpretation of contracts and the management of strategic corporate relationships’ Journal of Contemporary Management 2014 (11) 1 p.18 – 32
- An examination of the application of the Sea Transport Documents Act 65 of 2000 to title to sue under contracts of carriage evidenced by sea waybills and straight bills of lading. (unpublished LLM thesis, UKZN 2013)
- Privacy by (re)Design: A Comparative Study of the Protection of Personal Information in the Mobile Applications Ecosystem under United States, European Union and South African Law (unpublished PhD thesis, UKZN 2021)