Campus: Howard College
Building & Room: HC Building, Suite G, Room G-22
Dr Freddy Mnyongani is a Senior Lecturer at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN), Durban Campus. He holds a Bachelor of Theology (BTh) degree from St Joseph’s Theological Institute, a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree and a Masters degree in Law (LLM) from the University of the Witwatersrand and a Doctorate in Law (LLD) from the University of South Africa. Freddy is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa. His research covers areas such as Legal Philosophy, Ethics, Bioethics, Public International Law, International Human Rights Law, and some aspects of Private Law. He is a regular reviewer for various South African law journals, and is also an editorial Board member of the South African Journal of Bioethics and Law (SAJBL). He is a lecturer in Bioethics, Family Law, Delict, and the Law of Persons and is also involved in the supervision of post-graduate students. In addition, he serves as an external examiner for postgraduate dissertations.
- BTh (SJTI)
- LLB LLM (WITS)
- LLD (UNISA)
- Admitted attorney of High Court of South Africa
- Legal Philosophy
- Ethics, Bioethics
- Public International Law
- International Human Rights Law
- some aspects of Private Law
- Editorial Board Member of the South African Journal of Bioethics and Law (SAJBL)
- (2008). “Between a rock and a hard place: the right to self- determination versus uti possidetis in Africa”. The Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa Vol. XLI (3) p464-479.
- (2009). “Whose Morality? Towards a legal profession with an ethical content that is African”. South African Public Law (24) p121-134.
- (2009). “Governance, human rights and the public sphere in Africa: The case of Zimbabwe”. Malawi Law Journal Vol.3 (2) p182-198. Co-authored with Funmilola Abioye.
- (2010). “De-Linking Ubuntu: Towards a Unique South African Jurisprudence”? Obiter (31) p134-145.
- (2011). “The judiciary as a site of the struggle for political power: a South African perspective” Speculum Juris 2011(2) p1-16.
- (2012). “Duties of a lawyer in a Multicultural Society: A Customary Law Perspective?” Stellenbosch Law Review (23) p352-369.
- (2012). “Law, religion and organ transplants” Koers (76) p261- 281. Co-authored with Magda Slabbert and Nazim Goolman.
- (2012). “The status of animals in African cosmology: A non-legal perspective” Southern African Public Law (27)p88-102.
- (2013). “When ancestors call an employee: Kievits Kroon Country Estate (Pty) ltd v Johanna Mmoledi and Others” (2013) 25 SAMERC LJ p.606-618. Co-authored with Moses Retselisitsoe Phooko.
- (2015). “When ancestors call an employee : reflections on the judgment of the Supreme Court of Appeal in the Kievits Kroon Country Estate v Mmoledi case: case note” (2015) 27 SAMERC p163-173. Co-authored with Moses Retselisitsoe Phooko.
- (2018). “A Jehovah’s witness’s autonomy versus the interests of her children: Es v AC (SA 57/2012)  NASC 11 (24 June 2015) 2018 (18) THRHR Co-authored with Magda Slabbert.