|Professor Karthigasen Govender|
Professor Karthigasen Govender holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) obtained from London University, a Bachelor of Laws degree (LLB) summa cum laude from the University of Natal and a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from Michigan University. Govender is a Barrister, Middle Temple Inns of Court (England), an Advocate of the High Court, South Africa and a member of the Society of Advocates. He has litigated in numerous constitutional and administrative law matters. Govender was appointed to the South African Human Rights Commission by President Mandela in 1995 and re-appointed for a second term in 2002 by President Mbeki. He is also the Chairperson of the Film and Publication Appeal Tribunal and is a senior arbitrator with the South African Local Government Bargaining Council. Govender was the recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship to the University of Michigan and was also the recipient of the Colenso Scholarship and is a fellow of St. John’s College Cambridge. He has presented papers and lectured on five continents and has acted a judge of the High Court of South Africa.
Honorary Research Fellows
LLB (London University); LLB (Natal); LLM (Michigan University)
Barrister (Middle Temple Inns of Court)
Advocate of the High Court of South Africa
- Constitutional Law
- Administrative Law
- Govender, K. 2002. Administrative Law as a surrogate for Human Rights Law., in Realising Administrative Justice, edited by H. C. Corder. Cape Town: SiberInk: 45 to 66.
- Govender, K. 2002. 1. Equality – Overview and History pp 83 to 90 2. Equality and Socio-economic rights pp 111 to 118. 3. The right to Equality pp 125 to 153 4. Equality, Affirmative Action snd the Limitations Clause pp 153 to 162, in Foundations of South African Law, edited by L. A. GREENBAUM. Durban: Butterworths: cited above.
- Govender, K. 2002. Attempting to achieve substantive equality in one of the most unequal societies in the world – The South African Expereince. Durban: South African Human Rights Commission: 58 pages plus 9 pages of annex.
- Govender, K. 2003. An Assessment of Section 4 of the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act 2000. SA Publiekreg /SA Public Law, 18 Nr/No 2: 409 – 435.
- Govender, K. 2005. The Development of the Right to Administrative Justice in South Africa, in Constitutional Democracy in South Africa 1994-2004. Durban: LexisNexis Butterworths: 81 to 95.
Membership of Professional & Other Organisations:
Society of Advocates